Monday, April 20, 2009

Who do I Protect

Who do I Protect? (Written just after the Gujarat massacre in March 2002)

While I was on the borders, 

SHE lost her sanity and wept, because of some train, on which communal flames leapt,

What a pity... Once again promises weren't kept, Who do I protect? 

Is it the wealthy, the famous, the elite, 

Or may be the Champions of Democracy on their seat,

It's a shame, that once again,

some mother somewhere is bearing the pain,

of a son who didn't come home, or of one who came too soon in vain.

Who do I protect?

White caps and saffron robes, with small motifs and one's hopes, Printed along the coloured line,

Reminding us it's almost time, To stand in some never ending line, 

To decide whose land... Yours or mine, Who do I protect? 

Some wise holy man I have never met, Who knows his scriptures yet so inept,

He has learnt nothing, He sets the tune and starts to sing, 

It is he who controls the murderous crowds, Shouting and barking out aloud,

While I try to scale these heights, He is the one winning the fight, Who do I protect?

Seven hundred was the count they say, as mutilated in their blood they lay, I don't believe in caste or sect, These are the ones that I protect.

 

No comments: