Monday, April 20, 2009

What I am Worth

What I am worth…

( This one I like personally for its written in about twenty minutes... reflections after the Pay Commission made us reailse what exactly this grateful Nation thinks of its Soldiers)

I hear, we have crossed the sixtieth year
Standing guard without any fear,
Another day in the desert sun,
Or a night at height, with a freezing gun,
Tell me my India “What I am worth"

For the Battles and Wars that I fight,
Never asking which one is right,
From Dawn to Dusk and then to dawn,
Your Bishop, Your Knight Your Eternal Pawn,
Tell me my India “What I am worth"

While you fill your coffers today,
Wondering where and how to make,
Another fortune, another buy,
Your aspirations are now touching the Sky,
Tell me my India "What I am worth"

You make a mention on your political line,
Come to my post, wine and dine,
Then run to your stock, while I stand your guard, Killing and dying but still fighting hard,
Tell me my India "What I am worth"

The other day I was on TV too,
You came up to me with your educated crew,
Told me to speak because you seemed to care,
Wrote your story stripped me bare.

I was so naive I didn’t know,
For you it was the nine o’clock show,
The country wants to hear some line,
Before they sleep, knowing they are fine,
Tell me my India "What I am worth"

My men tell me, that they are strong,
Would fight for their country, for all that’s wrong, While I tell them to stand and fight,
You ignore my very existence and very right,
Tell me my India "What I am worth"

I thought I would tell my children in time,
How I fought for this country, this love of mine,
I wonder, if I should mention it though,
Don’t want them embarrassed, while they start to grow, Tell me my India "What I am worth"

I was your ambition, your childhood dream,
Your Pilot, your sailor your jawan in green,
Where did we part as friends, our ways,
I never let you down a single day,
Tell me my India "What I am worth

No comments: